Our chapel was first built in 1822 as a Methodist Meeting House across North Street where the Tedeschi/7-11 store now sits. In the 1880s, the building was moved to its current location (235 North Street), with a parsonage built behind soon after. Rev. Dr. Anna Howard Shaw, one of the earliest ordained female Methodist preachers, served as minister to the church in the late 1870s before going on to fight for women’s suffrage with Susan B. Anthony. In 1996, our congregation (then “Hingham Faith Church of the Nazarene”) purchased the chapel from the United Methodists. In 2004, the second-level sanctuary was remodeled with new lighting, sound system, pews, a new ceiling, a refurnished floor, and new runner carpeting. A wheelchair lift was also added. The split-style pulpit and lectern with communion altar in the middle was retained as well as the prayer kneelers and small orchestra pits. The sanctuary can tightly hold 100 people in this traditional setting with modern amenities.
The first level of the building holds our Newell Gathering Room, named after our congregation’s founding pastor and his wife, Rev. John Scott & Dorothy Newell. This fellowship room is modest in size and can comfortably hold small community meetings, bridal or baby showers, or other small gatherings.